Happy New Year! During this first week of the new year there is a lot of talk about resolutions. As organizers, we don’t do New Year’s resolutions. You can read more about this here. We have found that they just aren’t successful. Instead, we like to come up with a theme. One great way of practically implementing this theme into our year is with a vision board. A vision board is a visual representation of your goals and objectives for the year. It is more than just a planning tool. A vision board drives your life’s direction for the year. Here are some steps on how to create a vision board:
Step 1: BRAINSTORM
This is the most time consuming step. But don’t skip on this one! Take the time!! Use these “sparks” below to create a brain dump, mind map, or list of words, phrases, or images that you’d like to include on your board:
- List your life principles (principles that guide your life/decisions/choices) and key values. What words jump out at you that you would like to cultivate this year?
- Who do you want to spend time with this year?
- Where do you want to go or want to see this year?
- What activities light you up?
- Think of things you want to change. What images come to mind when you think of them? (Hint: Think of what the finish line looks like, not the current problem.)
- Do you have a theme for the year?
- Envision the person you want to be next year at this time. Describe that person. Visualize him or her.
- Do you have a favorite quotation or mantra? How about a song that embodies the spirit that you want to cultivate?
Step 2: FIND THOSE IMAGES
Take your list and start searching for images that represent these words and phrases. You can perform a simple image search on Google or use a platform like Pinterest to find images. You can also pull images from the photo streams on your devices. Save all relevant images to a file labeled Vision Board.
Step 3: CREATE A BOARD
Use a collage or mosaic app like Canva or TurboCollage to combine and arrange the images into a single digital image. As you are doing this, it will give you more time to think about what you want to do, who you want to be, and so forth this year.
Step 4: TIME TO DISPLAY
Put the finished board somewhere that you will see frequently, like your computer wallpaper or your phone’s home screen. This is how you continually see it. The more you see it, the more it will help you drive your life’s direction for 2022!
So, what’s your theme for 2022? What do you have on your vision board? We love to hear from you! For more on how to create a vision board – or to post a photo of your vision board – check out our Abundance Declutter Group on Facebook.